So maybe you don’t need an auto fish feeder at the moment but would like to check out some self cleaning tank reviews instead. Well you’ve come to the right place then. There are many different types of aquariums for both saltwater and fresh water fish. It can get overwhelming, so we will break it down for you. We have a lot of collective experience with tropical fish keeping and are here to help you differentiate between the different types of fish tanks and pick the best option for your needs. Keep reading to see which tanks are worth buying and which aren’t…
Easy Clean Fish Tank Info
Literally anyone that doesn’t like to clean would love to have one of these aquariums in their life. We don’t personally know of a single person that enjoys cleaning their aquarium. Of course we love our fish, but if you’re a busy person then these will save you a ton of time. Also if you are a forgetful person then these are absolutely necessary, not just for saving time and effort but also to help preserve the health of your fish and keep their home clean at all times. Don’t have time to read the reviews? Then click here to see our #1 pick on Amazon.
The Ecoqube Easy Clean Aquarium
- Very quiet
- Stylish design
- Can simulate different weather!
Back to the Roots Water Garden
- Self cleaning mini ecosystem
- 4 power cord slots for accessories
- Grows it's own food
As Seen on TV My Fun Fish Tank
- Extremely affordable
- Easy for kids to use
- Small size
Types of No Cleaning Aquariums
Overall there are two main types of self cleaning tanks for sale these days that you will need to look into, depending of course on your specific needs.
- The first type of noclean tank is what you would call a gravity based one. The way that this works is it has a pump that pulls out the gross dirty water while you add the fresh clean water. All you need to do is put a container close to the tank and let the dirty water flow in while you add the replacement clean water.
- The second type uses a different method that we will call the water garden approach. How this works is there is a garden of contained plants and algae that float at the top of the water and instead of the fish waste just floating around, it is used to fertilize the plants.
There are other types of aquariums that we have reviewed. If you are looking for smaller stylish option then check out the best nano fish tank reviews. These products are a popular option for offices as well as the home.
Top 5 Easy Clean Aquariums
Without further ado here are our top 5 overall picks in the category of noclean. They have been chosen based on price, ease of use and overall ratings.
1. EcoQube Aquarium
The ecoqube is a desktop aquarium that is designed for betta fish and looks very good in your home. It is very easy to maintain as evidenced by the great reviews and the design. The product is even marketed by Aqua Design Innovations as being the best maintenance free betta fish aquarium of all time. It can be used by kids and looks great almost anywhere in the house. This is our top pick because we are all about saving time and with this aquarium all you need to do is feed your fish at the proper intervals and top up the water. You don’t have to change the water or filter either of course as it cleans itself.
- Will save you so much time, I’ve personally used this tank and it is a lifesaver!
- Very stylish contemporary design that works in almost any setting
- Comes with several presets for the LED light fixture to simulate different settings such as stormy weather or a clear day
- It is small and can be placed on your coffee table or work station
- Doesn’t make much noise
- Customer support can be less than perfect apparently
- It has been reported that some sellers don’t give out all the accessories so it’s important to buy through a reputable seller, luckily we’ve got you covered with our link below
2. Back to the Roots Water Garden
Not only is this cool aquarium able to clean itself but it’s also a mini ecosystem that grows it’s own food through aquaponics. It comes with a 3 gallon tank, organic wheat grass and radish sprout seeds, grow pots (5), fish food and of course a pump. This is one of the top picks based on not only the good reviews but also on the affordability. Keep reading to find out more about this awesome water garden tank.
- Comes with 4 power cord slots that can be used for accessories like lights and heaters
- The “water garden” system is very efficient and creates a self filtering ecosystem for your tank
- It’s not absolutely 100% self sufficient and water may still become dirty through other ways
3. AquaSprouts Garden
If you already have a 10 gallon fishtank and are looking for a solid option to add some aquaponics, then the AquaSprouts garden is a great choice. It has been talked about in major news sites like the New York Times and Kickstarter. The reviews are also quite good. This is a self cleaner that works with the water garden approach of the fish waste being used to fertilize the plants. We are a big fan of tanks that use this method as it is an awesome trade off for the plants to help the survival of the fish while the fish help the survival of the plants.
- The light mount can be removed and any 2 foot grow light can be put inside
- Has a submersible pump that features a 160 gph flow rate and a plug timer that can be adjusted in 15 minute steps to control the draining and flooding cycles
- Awesome customer support as evidenced by the reviews
- Has a garden bed that snaps together for easy assembly
- The black matte looks quite good and will compliment your home nicely
- Very affordable
- It might be a bit too noisy for some people, so keeping it in the bedroom might not be ideal
- Could be hard to setup for less technical people
4. biOrb Aquarium Kit
This aquarium by biOrb looks like your typical traditional fish bowl. Some people may like this others may not. We think it looks quite good and fits well in a lot of modern homes. There are different sizes and the 4 gallon version has a diameter of 13 inches while the 8 or 16 gallon versions are quite a bit bigger so there will be a size to please everyone. This fishbowl is quite modern and features a 5 stage self cleaning system that uses mechanical, as well as chemical and biological filtration in order to clean itself. This filtration system makes it a great option for people that don’t want to do any work and save a lot of time.
- Looks very good
- Highly rated and good design
- Filter only needs to be replaced every 4 weeks instead of changing the water daily
- Not good for small fish as they can end up being caught in the filter
- Can be complicated for children and less technical people
- Replacing the filter every 4 weeks adds a bit of extra cost
5. As Seen on TV My Fun Fish Tank
If you’re just looking for basic and cheap tank starter kits, then this is a product that is a great choice, especially for kids and beginners. The reason for this is that it is so easy to use which makes it ideal for young children and enables them to get into the habit of caring for their pet fish. It uses the gravity cleaning method which means it basically does all the work for you so you don’t have to worry about your child having too many steps to remember, as all they really need to do is set up a container to catch the dirty water. It is a half gallon tank that is used for freshwater and measures about 10 inches high and 4.5 inches on the sides. It almost looks like a plastic water pitcher which is kind of neat. As a bonus, it even comes with a bunch of aquatic plants and aquarium pebbles for decoration to make it look nicer in your home.
- Looks great in the home as it is very decorative
- Extremely affordable
- Great for teaching young children how to care for a pet
- Can be a little hard to assemble for technically challenged people
- Might be a little small for some types of fish
Not ready to buy a self cleaning tank just yet? Well then be sure to check out out our top auto fish feeders on the homepage!